Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Goals

2014 was the year of setbacks in most areas of my life. I'm not interested in reliving that, so I won't go into the details. But I am looking for a way to recover and not waste 2015. The reason my new year's post is so late is because I thought long and hard about not only what to post, but what goals were obtainable and helpful. I wanted to set goals that wouldn't just make me feel like I accomplished something but would contribute to my journey in some meaninful way and help me get back on track.
I decided for that reason the best way to accomplish was not only listing goals but stating why they were worth accomplishing. I've asked a couple of wiser people for feedback on how to best move forward, so this list is likely to grow when I hear back. But I'm starting witht he following and have put a hoped completion date in parenthesis:


  1. Read 52 books-- For whatever reason, this always seems to help. I'm thinking of reading them all straight from a school library as this might help me figure out how to break into the school library market. (December 31, 2015)
  2. Blog every day Monday-Friday-- Blogging every day helps me stay connected in the writing community which is where most of my support comes from. It helps me feel like a writer and get advice when I'm in a slump as opposed to this year when I just stayed slumped. It also means I'm writng something even if it's not fiction. One of the hardest things about 2014 was that I wasn't writing which felt wierd but I had no idea how to write.
  3. Reread the Twilight Saga-- I need to rekindle my love for writing and this is how I found it in the first place.
  4. Write an Easy Reader-- I actually outlined this to apply for a ghostwriting job on elance. I turned the job down and doesn't make sense  not to use an already developed outline. (Feb. 1, 2015)
  5. Write The Last Marlowe Girl-- My fans have been waiting for a very long time. (July 1, 2015)
  6. Revise Perfect Harmony-- This one may change. I can't figure out what to do. I thought it was done then wored with my professor on the first 30 pages and quickly realized how much stronger it could be. I can't decide if I should try to revise this on my own or if it's best to use it as my thesis project. (who knows).
  7. Lose 35 pounds-- This would just make me healthier and probably reduce some back pain. (December 31, 2015)
  8. Get off sugar!-- So this is another health goal, but it's not just a health goal. Being able to function off sugar helps the writing too. (ASAP).
  9. Write something new-- Okay, I realize I've already listed the easy reader which is something new for me,but I need to make a serious contribution to my million word goal this year. (December 31, 2015).
  10. Get my permanent certificate-- I'm currently working on a probationary certificate. To get my permanent certificate, I have to do some internship projects and complete 50 hours of professional development. (I can't do this until next Janurary, but I hope to finish the requirements by May 31, 2015).
  11. Take two/three graduate courses-- This chips away at my MFA. I'd really like to take three, but funds may be a problem. (December 31, 2015).
What are your goals for this year?

4 comments:

  1. That's a lot, Beth. I can't blog every day. Three days a week is more than enough for me. I'm tired just thinking about it. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some big goals! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog everyday? For this year I'll be blogging three times a week and I feel stressed by that. I could never blog everyday. Wow! You're my hero. :P Good luck with all of your goals, Beth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are impressively ambitious! Best of luck to you. I really should get off the sugar. I have a naughty sweet tooth :/

    ReplyDelete