Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lola And The Boy Next Door Book 13


"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door."

What I liked
This was a cute book. What I really like is Perkins' writing style. I love the way her secondary characters have as much depth as the mc and the world building. Paris was never really on my bucket list until I read Anna & The French Kiss. And Perkins gave Lola's world as much depth. One thing I loved was Lola's two dads. This is something a lot of people would have an opinion on one way or the other, but in the book there is no opinion to be had. They are really good parents interested in guiding her and protecting her not controlling her.
What I Didn't Like
Honestly, this book just didn't do it for me. It may be because Anna &The French Kiss set the bar so high. I think part of the reason I didn't like the book was because Lola was a very different character. At times, her daily costumes seemed a bit overboard, but I forced myself to dismiss this as I wore green lip stick around my eyes every day in high school. But I didn't like that she was involved with this much older band guy who didn't seem to have much of a future, and didn't treat her very well. And it the romance between Lola and Crickett a while to really get tense, because of all the interaction and Lola's connection to the previously mentioned loser guy. I'm not sure how to rate this book. I think the writing deserves one rating and the story deserves another one. So I think I'll just let you make your own decision on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment